Household Hazardous Waste

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

 DWP HHW Generic

Help protect public health and safety and the environment by disposing properly of your household hazardous waste.

Don’t throw hazardous waste items in your trash can–let the Riverside County Waste Management Department properly dispose of them for you. This event is open to all City of Corona residents and Riverside County residents.


Upcoming 2020 Event Dates

Stay connected for Household Hazardous Waste collection event updates, times, and locations.

March 21, 2020 & March 22, 2020, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Corona City Hall *CANCELLED*
October 17, 2020 & October 18, 2020, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Corona City Hall

Click here to view County HHW Flyer. 



What is Household Hazardous Waste?

Hazardous waste is any discarded material that threatens public health, safety and the environment due to its chemical nature. Throwing these materials in the trash or sewer system puts oceans and groundwater at risk.


Hazardous Waste Disposal

All residents of Riverside County can dispose of Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) at:

  • An ABOP site (ABOP sites collect only Antifreeze, Batteries, Oil and Latex Paint)
  • A Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) event (permanent facility)
  • A Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) event (mobile event)

Household Hazardous Waste cannot be collected by Waste Management of the Inland Empire.


Got Bulk? 


The City of Corona offers residents a convenient way to dispose of large bulky household items via the Bulky Item Collection Program. Each household may request up to three (3) FREE collections per year. Please contact Waste Management Inc., at 1-800-423-9986 to schedule a collection appointment. 

Click here to view flyer!


About Household Hazardous Waste

Some household hazardous wastes can be identified by having one of these words on the label:

  • Flammable or combustible - can be set on fire easily
  • Explosive or reactive - can detonate or explode through exposure to heat, sudden shock or pressure.
  • Corrosive - can destroy and cause burns to the skin and other living tissues.
  • Toxic or poison - capable of causing injury or death through ingestion, inhalation, absorption or injection.


Needles and Sharps

Don’t throw your needles or sharps in the trash!!

Beginning on September 1, 2008, state law (Section 118286 of the California Health and Safety Code) makes it illegal to dispose of home-generated sharps waste in the trash or recycling containers, and requires that all sharps waste be transported to a collection center in a sharps container approved by the local enforcement agency.

Home-generated sharps must be placed in an approved container and brought to a Sharps Kiosk or Household Hazardous Waste Collection facility or event for FREE disposal, or disposed of at an alternative approved location. Residents can use a store-bought biohazard container with a secured lid or make their own approved container.


Permanent Facilities


Riverside Lake Elsinore
Facility Agua Mansa Permanent Facility City Maintenance Facility
Address 1780 Agua Mansa Road
Jurupa Valley, CA 92509
521 N. Langstaff St.
Lake Elsinore, CA 92530
Hours Open non-holiday Saturdays
9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m
Open 1st Saturday monthly( except January & December)
9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.


Collection Events

For additional information, visit the Riverside County Department of Waste Management site at

Electronic waste is also accepted. Consequently, this is also a good time to recycle old televisions, computer monitors, or other electronic devices. For additional information, please call the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program at (800) 304-2226. 

Special note: The HHW event will close during periods of inclement weather or if unsafe conditions exist for the public and event staff.

Please note: Beginning in 2013, maximum chemical load has increased to 15 gallons or 125 lbs. per trip (California State Law maximum transportation limitation).

* Events will close during inclement weather or other hazardous conditions.

For any questions regarding HHW events, please call (800) 304-2226 or (951) 486-3200.

Mobile Events
Mobile Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) events are held regularly throughout Riverside County and are free to Riverside County residents. For any questions regarding future HHW events, please call (800) 304-2226 or (951) 486-3200.


ABOP Sites

The following ABOP sites collect only Anti-freeze, Batteries, Oil and Latex Paint. They are open on Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and are closed on holiday weekends.*

Palm Springs
3000 El. Alejo Road
Palm Springs, CA 92262
(Hours from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., July to September)

25315 Jefferson Avenue
Murrieta, CA 92562

* Closed during inclement weather or other hazardous conditions.


HHW Event Guidelines

HHW collection events provide you the opportunity to properly dispose of HHW and Electronic Waste (E-Waste) and it’s FREE! Here are some important guidelines to follow:

  •  You may bring up to fifteen (15) gallons of a hazardous liquid waste or a total of 125 pounds maximum per car, per trip. Multiple trips are allowed.

  • Keep original labels on containers. The container shall be marked, and secured to prevent leaks. Do not mix materials. Containers holding gasoline will not be returned.

  • Use a sturdy box to transport the HHW materials in the trunk of your car.

  • HHW includes: latex paints, pesticides, oils, solvents, cleansers, antifreeze, used oil and filters, aerosol cans, chlorine, BBQ propane tanks, household and automotive batteries, Sharps (Sharps must be in sealed hard plastic containers. No loose sharps.), fluorescent tubes and many other HHW items.

  • E-Waste includes: monitors, computers, televisions, and other electronic items.

  • The following will not be accepted: Business or Non-profit waste, explosives/ammunition, medical waste, waste in 55-gallon drums, radioactive materials, appliances and tires.

  • Unused medication needs to be transported and provided to the County in either a designed sharps disposal container or a hard plastic container such as an empty milk or juice jug or a large plastic jar, no soft material, glass or paper carton containers will be processed.

  • Used Oil and Filters
  • Latex/Oil-Based Paint
  • Fluorescent Tubes/Bulbs
  • Pesticides
  • Cleaners
  • BBQ & Camp Size Propane
  • Aerosol Cans
  • Antifreeze
  • Auto/Household Batteries
  • Garden Chemicals
  • Pool Chlorine
  • TVs and Computers
  • Electronic Waste
  • Sharps
  • Unused medication (except controlled substances)
  • Government, Business, Non-Profit, or Out-of-County Hazardous Waste
  • Explosives or Ammunition
  • Controlled Substances
  • Infectious Waste (except Sharps)
  • Asbestos
  • Radioactive Material (except smoke detectors)
  • Remediation Material
  • Containers larger than 5 gallons or weighing more than 50 pounds
  • Appliances
  • Tires
  • Trash


Ask Ally
Powered by AboutXtreme