New Residents

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Welcome to Corona! Whether you are a new resident, or have moved from one area of the City to another, this webpage is designed to provide you with useful information about City services.

Employees of the City of Corona are proud of the work they do on behalf of all Corona residents. That's why we have adopted a set of corporate values that focus on service, quality, value, communication, innovation, teamwork, initiative, skills, balance and integrity. For more information about this dynamic community, view our Community Profile. If you have any questions about your City services, please call City Hall at (951) 736-2201 during normal business hours, or (951) 736-2400 for 24 hour information.


City Council Meetings

The Corona City Council meets on the first and third Wednesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers at City Hall, 400 South Vicentia Avenue. Meetings are also broadcast on cable Channel 29. Council members may be contacted at (951) 736-2371 or on our Mayor & City Council section of this webpage. To view Meeting Agendas, Minutes, and Video, click here.

Neighborhood Watch

Neighborhood Watch meetings are coordinated by neighbors and a Crime Prevention Specialist from the Police Department. Security recommendations are made and follow-up topics are available. Active Neighborhood Watch groups can purchase "Neighborhood Watch" street signs to show their participation in the program. For more information, please call (951) 279-3577.

"Welcome Mat" For Pets

In addition to moving your family members and possessions into your new home, many of you may have a pet that is making the transition with you. For more information about licensing and care of animals, visit the Animal Services & Enforcement section of this website.

The Corona Animal Shelter is located at 1330 Magnolia Ave, Corona, CA 92879 and may be reached at (951) 736-2309.

Utility Billing

The following information is provided by the City of Corona Department of Water and Power, Utility Billing division.

On your first billing statement from the City of Corona, a new account set-up fee will be listed. This fee is a one-time charge which is paid to offset the cost of creating accounting and computer records, reading the meter and/or turning on the water service. You will be billed every month. Your monthly bill may include the following services and fees based upon your type of residence:

  • Water Charge: Includes usage and a "ready to serve charge." The "ready to serve" charge is for water service connection and shall be paid by all users connected to the water system, whether or not any water is actually used.
  • Electricity: A majority of Corona residents' electricity service is provided by Southern California Edison. Small areas near Dos Lagos, The Crossings, Corona Pointe, and Princeland are serviced through our Department of Water & Power. Click here to learn about DWP's electric service.
  • Sewer Service Charge: If connected to the City sewer system.
  • Trash & Recycling Charge: If in the service area. This charge applies whether or not the trash service is actually used.
  • EMS Service: If you subscribe. This monthly charge replaces an individual call-out charge for emergency medical services provided by the Fire Department. Call (951) 736-2218 for more details.

The first bill may contain a prorated trash charge for days of service, plus an advance charge to establish service. This advance payment will be credited to your final bill. Please call (951) 736-2321 to establish new service.

The City of Corona also offers several ways for you to pay your utility bill, including online bill payment and automatic bill pay. For other information or to help answer other questions which you may have, visit the Department of Water and Power section of this webpage or call us at (951) 736-2234.

Water Conservation Ordinance

The Department of Water & Power offers a variety of money saving tips and rebates for water conservation. The City of Corona adopted Ordinance No. 2962 in response to drought conditions in California. View residential rebate programs. 

Turf Removal

Removing turf, especially from your parkway, is a great way to save water and money. Visit our Turf Removal information section of this webpage for more details.  

The Gas Company

The Gas Company offers a number of programs to assist their customers with Natural Gas services. Programs such as; a 20% rate discount on your gas bill for income-qualified customers through the California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) program; No-cost energy-saving home improvements for income-qualified customers through the Direct Assistance Program (DAP); One time assistance on your gas bill for income-qualified customers through the Gas Assistance Fund; More gas at the lowest rate for customers with certain medical conditions through the Medical Baseline Program; and Special payment arrangements may be available. For more information, call 1-800-427-2200 or visit

Internet Service

AT&T: Visit the AT&T Internet webpage for detailed information. 
Frontier Internet: Visit the Frontier Internet webpage for detailed information. Haga clic aqui para la pagina en Español.

Property Maintenance

Since 1987, the City of Corona has a comprehensive property maintenance ordinance governing the maintenance of private property. The ordinance sets minimum standards for the maintenance of residential and business properties to prevent unsafe and unsightly conditions. Properties that do not meet the minimum standards are considered to be in violation and a public nuisance.

Through voluntary compliance and a spirit of personal responsibility, the majority of any code violations are corrected. The success of this code enforcement program rests upon each property owner being a good neighbor by maintaining his/her private property. For further information, or to report a violation, please call (951) 739-4970.

Home Improvements?

As you settle into your new home, we are sure that you will have questions regarding what types of improvements you can make. The following information is designed to assist you as you plan your home improvement projects.

The City of Corona Building and Planning Divisions under the Community Development Department review all applications for building permits within the City for residential, commercial and industrial construction. Residential permits consist of new homes, but also room additions, patio covers, block walls, fences, swimming pools, spas, balconies, concrete, sprinklers and miscellaneous electrical, plumbing and mechanical work.

The Building Division operates under the guidelines of the Uniform Building Code (UBC) with amendments adopted by State law and City ordinance. The purpose of the UBC is to provide minimum standards to safeguard life, health, property and public welfare by regulating and controlling the design, construction, quality of materials, use and occupancy, location and maintenance of all buildings.

Before you begin a project at your home, call the Building Division at (951) 736-2250 to determine if you need a permit. Call the Planning Division at (951) 736-2262 to determine if you have proper zoning.

Before any permit is processed, you will need to supply a copy of your plot plan. A plot plan can be drawn on 8 1/2" x 11" paper. It will need to include all four property lines, including the sidewalk and street. Once you have all the property lines, draw an outline of your house as close to scale as possible. After this is complete, measure from your house to each of the four property lines and write that dimension on your plot plan.

Protecting the Environment

The City of Corona is committed to improving air quality by using alternative fuel vehicles (AFVs) in its fleet. AFVs significantly reduce tail pipe emissions.

City ordinance strictly prohibits the discharge of polluted runoff into storm drains. Whatever goes down the storm drain flows directly into local rivers and streams. To help remind residents of this, the city has a storm drain stencil program whereby local students work to stencil the words "ONLY RAIN IN THE DRAIN" on storm drain inlets. For information on the City's Storm Water/Clean Water Protection program, call (951) 736-2248. To report illegal dumping, or a clogged storm drain, call (951) 736-2301 or fill out an online report.

Waste Management (the City's refuse hauler) offers curbside recycling of used motor oil. Transfer the used oil into a clean milk jug container and call Waste Management at (800) 423-9986 to schedule the oil pickup. Leave the containers (up to 5 gallons) out on the curb for your next scheduled trash day. Remember: Do not mix used oil with other liquids such as gasoline or antifreeze.

We are glad you have come to the best community in the Inland Empire! Please use this website and all the contact information provided here to let us help you make your life in Corona a happy and productive one.

Ask Ally
Powered by AboutXtreme