California Uniform Public Construction Cost Accounting Act Informal Bidding Process
The Public Works Department invites interested contractors to complete a Pre-Qualification Application to be placed on the City of Corona's qualified contractor's list. The pre-qualification entitles each contractor to be informed of the "Notice Inviting Bids" for projects under $100,000 via U.S. mail. For more information about this process, please read California Public Contract Code § 22034 below.
A list of consultants offering project assistance is available by contacting us at (951) 736-2266. To be added to this list, please contact us by phone or by sending a letter of interest to:
City of Corona
Public Works Department
400 S. Vicentia Avenue, Corona, CA 92882
Public Contract Code Section 22034
Each public agency that elects to become subject to the uniform construction accounting procedures set forth in Article 2 (commencing with Section 22010) shall enact an informal bidding ordinance to govern the selection of contractors to perform public projects pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 22032. The ordinance shall include all of the following:
- The public agency shall maintain a list of qualified contractors, identified according to categories of work. Minimum criteria for development and maintenance of the contractors list shall be determined by the commission.
- All contractors on the list for the category of work being bid or all construction trade journals specified in Section 22036, or both all contractors on the list for the category of work being bid and all construction trade journals specified in Section 22036, shall be mailed a notice inviting informal bids unless the product or service is proprietary.
- All mailing of notices to contractors and construction trade journals pursuant to subdivision (b) shall be completed not less than 10 calendar days before bids are due.
- The notice inviting informal bids shall describe the project in general terms and how to obtain more detailed information about the project, and state the time and place for the submission of bids.
- The governing body of the public agency may delegate the authority to award informal contracts to the public works director, general manager, purchasing agent, or other appropriate person.
- If all bids received are in excess of one hundred twenty-five thousand dollars ($125,000), the governing body of the public agency may, by adoption of a resolution by a four-fifths vote, award the contract, at one hundred thirty-seven thousand five hundred dollars ($137,500) or less, to the lowest responsible bidder, if it determines the cost estimate of the public agency was reasonable.
If you need more information please contact the Capital Improvement Projects Staff at (951) 736-2266.