Go Green and Be Merry
When holiday seasons are in full swing, they are accompanied by a whirlwind of activity –from gift-buying and wrapping to party clean-up – all of which creates extra items for your waste and recycling containers.
By keeping the tips below in mind, you can make a positive impact on the environment.
• Consider giving no-waste gifts, such as downloadable music, electronically activated memberships or tickets.
• Buy products made from recycled or organic content, like bags and clothing.
• Consider no-waste wrapping options, like reusable bags, such as backpacks or purses. Foil, metallic or glitter accent wrapping paper isn’t recyclable.
• Store your holiday decorations for reuse each year. If you upgrade your holiday décor, be sure to donate your old décor so other families can enjoy the spirit of the season.
• Send holiday greetings via e-mail or social media – a great way to share photos and memories.
• When entertaining, use washable utensils, plates, glasses, cloth napkins, and reusable table covers.
• Have containers where guests can put recyclable, empty cans and bottles.
• For shipments direct to your house, be sure to break down your cardboard boxes before placing them in your recycling bin
• Avoid putting bubble wrap and lights in your recycling bin, both of which can get tangled in recycling sorting equipment and create a safety hazard.
• Residents may recycle their trees during the first two weeks following Christmas on their scheduled collection day from December 26 through January 9. After the two-week period, you may cut your tree and place the pieces in your green waste carts.
For additional tips on how to go green, visit www.CoronaCA.gov/GoGreen.