SCAQMD Particulate Advisory - Fireworks
South Coast AQMD Air Alert: Valid Thursday July 04, 2019 and Friday July 05, 2019
This advisory is in effect through Friday morning. South Coast AQMD will issue an update if additional information becomes available.
Air quality is likely to reach unhealthful levels in areas throughout the South Coast Air Basin and in the Coachella Valley on July 4th through July 5th. Fireworks are known to emit high levels of particulate matter (PM2.5 and PM10) as well as metal air pollutants, all of which can contribute to negative health effects. From the evening of Thursday, July 4th through the morning of Friday, July 5th, the Air Quality Index may reach the Very Unhealthy air quality category or higher, due to fireworks related to Independence Day celebrations. The use of personal "backyard" fireworks also contributes to this air pollution and can further increase how much air pollution a person is breathing.
Fine particulate matter levels on July 4th and July 5th are typically among the worst (highest) days of the year in the South Coast Air Basin. The smoke and combustion products from fireworks add to the fine particles already present in the Basin that are primarily caused by motor vehicles, as well as fugitive dust and industrial emissions.
Areas of direct impacts and unhealthful air quality may include portions of:
- Los Angeles County: Central Los Angeles (Area 1), Northwest Coastal LA County (Area 2), Southwest Coastal LA County (Area 3), South Coastal LA (Area 4), Southeast LA County (Area 5), West San Fernando Valley (Area 6), East San Fernando Valley (Area 7), West San Gabriel Valley (Area 8), East San Bernardino Valley (Area 9), Pomona-Walnut Valley (Area 10), South San Gabriel Valley (Area 11), South Central Los Angeles County (Area 12), Santa Clarita Valley (Area 13), San Gabriel Mountains (Area 15)
- Orange County: Northern Orange County (Area 16), Central Orange County (Area 17), North Coastal Orange Count (Area 18), Saddleback Valley (Area 19), Central Coastal Orange Cou (Area 20), Capistrano Valley (Area 21)
- Riverside County: Corona-Norco (Area 22), Metropolitan Riverside County (Area 23), Perris Valley (Area 24), Lake Elsinore (Area 25), Temecula Valley (Area 26), Anza Valley (Area 27), Hemet-San Jacinto Valley (Area 28), San Gorgonio Pass (Area 29), Coachella Valley (Area 30), East Riverside County (Area 31)
- San Bernardino County: Northwest San Bernardino Valley (Area 32), Southwest San Bernardino Valley (Area 33), Central San Bernardino Valley (Area 34), East San Bernardino Valley (Area 35), West San Bernardino Mountains (Area 36), Central San Bernardino Mountains (Area 37), East San Bernardino Mountains (Area 38)
South Coast AQMD Advisory updates can be found at the following link: http://www.aqmd.gov/advisory
- View CAQMD Advisory updates.
- Subscribe to air quality alerts, advisories and forecasts by email here.
- View current air quality conditions by region in an interactive map.
- Access SCAQMD’s Wildfire Smoke & Ash Health & Safety Tips
- View map of SCAQMD Forecast Areas